Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Next Time, Go To Shore

I went out to the lake to hopefully put my boat in at the Lakeside boat landing......NOT. The park made the parking  almost impossible to get close to the boat landing unless I had a trailer, so I went to Supple Marsh and put the boat in by the fisherman.

When I got onto the lake I noticed the waves were a little choppy and I was thinking about going a long the west side of the lake. As you can see from the map, I went along the west side to see a friend of mine from work. As I was battling the waves, I was getting drenched and the boat was taking on water. I need to pick up a hand operated bilge pump for that thing. I made it to my friends house and emptied out the water and tried to give him a call. I saw that the TV was on but I wasn't going to knock on his back door unannounced. So I got back into the boat and headed back.

On my way back, I saw that I was taking on a lot of water in the boat and I was sure that I wasn't getting sprayed that much so I looked back at the drain plug......CRAP!!!!! I FORGOT TO PUT IT BACK IN!!!!!

Instead of paddling into shore, which would have been the smart thing to do, I tried reaching back and doing it myself. I almost had that thing screwed in and then I tipped over and everything went into the water. Because the waves were getting bigger than when I started, everything was floating away. I scrambled to get everything in and swam for shore. Once I got on shore and the boat was fully drained. I noticed my bag that had my phone and keys was missing. I saw it 300 feet out from shore floating and laughing at me. Needless to say I wasn't very appreciative of the laughter. 

Once I got the phone and keys, I paddled like crazy to get my butt home.....burned 1500 calories and my max heart rate was 181bpm...lol.

I tried to use my phone in the car, after everything was put away and road ready, but the phone was dead and no good anymore. I need to get a dry bag or a dry fanny pack for future boating.

No comments:

Post a Comment